Articles and Legal News
Please note all of our news and articles are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. For advice tailored to your circumstances please contact your Saunders & Co lawyer.
As well as providing regular news updates on the feed adjacent, we also provide a personalised news email service. To choose what news we send you, click here.
Annual International Trademarks Conference – take home points
Virginia Nichols, our Intellectual Property specialist, recently attended the 137th Conference of the International Trademarks Association (INTA) in San Diego, the largest gathering of IP professionals in the world.
Here are some of the interesting points from the Conference:
- Exporters to China should chose, promote and protect a Chinese language version of their trade mark that is acceptable in different Chinese dialects
- Japan now allows registration of shape and colour marks
- Korea has a new catch-all provision to limit unfair competition where there has been significant investment in a brand
- The US Federal Trade Commission requires secondary trade marks such as slogans and taglines to meet advertising standards
- Europe is toughening up its ability to seize counterfeit goods ordered via the internet and imported into the EU
- Developing strong brand use guidelines for 3rd parties can help maintain the integrity of your brand, and reduce your AdWords costs
- Thailand has strict packaging labelling rules for infant formula
- Europe is going to introduce Certification marks
- It is easier to protect a distinctive combination of two or more colours applied to a product than a single colour (which can be impossible in some jurisdictions)
- Two of the issues holding up the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPPA) may be patents for pharmaceuticals and parallel importation
- Local laws can over-ride the terms of a licence agreement, even if it refers to New Zealand law – local expertise is required
If you have a question about protecting your trade marks or brand, either in New Zealand or overseas, please contact Virginia.
"Through this time we have required the services of the firm for business, personal, and litigation purposes. We have never felt a moment's hesitation in remaining with the firm, and expect to continue a long and prosperous relationship with Saunders & Co. into the future."
Colin and Julie Erickson, Cube Developments Limited
"Excellent law firm to deal with. Excellent communication and service."
Carmel Kokshoorn, Property Owner
"Thanks Hornby Law for your professional and helpful advice. It is nice when everything runs smoothly."
Barry and Natalie Gibb
"We have found them reliable, timely and professional. They have added value to our business by being effective and decisive. Their friendly manner whilst conducting business means that we have felt comfortable seeking their advice no matter how major or minor the query may be. We would have no hesitation in recommending Saunders & Co to family, friends and business associates."
Cymon and Angela Allfrey, Cymon Allfrey Architects Ltd
"Very prompt and efficient service. I have been very well informed and kept up to date on matters. To be recommended. Thank you."
Suzanne Henderson, Property
"The professional and friendly service provided by Jenni Hunter allowed us to buy our first home without fuss stress or delays, absolutely seamless! Amenable, and more importantly always accessible to clarify and assist, Jenni proved you can get an exclusive personal service without paying Auckland barrister prices."
James Craig, Home Buyer
"Always happy with service and professionalism at Hornby Law. Never had any reason or desire to change firms; friendly, welcoming, professional and easy to do business with."
Frans and Rose-Marie van Zoggel
"Thank you Ria and your team for the excellent work in completing the sale on such a short turnaround, that's why I always use Saunders & Co."
Ashley Patten, Property Owner
"I have worked with Saunders & Co on both a professional and personal basis for over 10 years. I have always found their service and quality of legal advice to be first rate. Attention to detail and timeliness is important to our business, and Saunders & Co have always performed in these critical areas."
Ian McNabb, Ngai Tahu Property Limited
- Post Categories
- Legal News