Marriage and Name Changes

Posted by Saunders & Co on 31 July 2012

Individuals are able to assume a partner’s name immediately after getting married without any formal procedures. It is not necessary to register a name change. In such situations, both the maiden name and new name of a person will be recognised.

marriage and name change

When changing names on bank statements for example, a marriage certificate will be sufficient evidence to validate the change. Passports can remain unchanged and carry a maiden name.

However for those wanting to record a name change officially, an application can be made to Births, Deaths and Marriages by making a statutory declaration and completing a name change form. If you were born in New Zealand, changing your name by this method will result in your birth certificate being amended to record the new name.

For more information, visit the Department of Internal Affairs website or contact your lawyer.

Tags: , , ,


© 2014 Saunders & Co - All rights reserved

Website dreamt and designed by The Different and developed by Fox Web Solutions